Please note, this Policy includes sections with additional information for users in specific jurisdictions, including Privacy Information for California, Virginia and Nevada Residents and Information for Certain Users Outside of the United States. You understand that your personal data, including any data you provide, is processed by the Company in the United States, which may have different protection standards if you reside in another country.
Additional information for users in specific jurisdictions:
- European Economic Area (“EEA”), UK or Switzerland Users: Company has blocked all traffic identified as originating from EEA, UK or Switzerland.
Information We Collect
Information You Provide to Us. We collect information you provide to us directly when you use the Services, including when you:
- Register for a newsletter; register for or attend an event; subscribe to a product; participate in a contest, promotion or survey
- Contact information such as your name, e-mail address, street address and phone number
- Demographic information such as year of birth, gender, general location such as city or state
- Professional Information such as job title, industry and education; and
- Payment information, such as your credit card number and expiration date (processed by our third-party payment processor), where appropriate to process a financial transaction you have requested.
- Contact information such as your name, e-mail address, street address and phone number
- Submit Content to the Services or Interact with Content
- User-Generated Content such as comments on articles, content in message boards, images, photos, videos, or other content you provide to the Services, when you post an online ad, or otherwise engage with the Services.
- Action You Take Related to Content such as sharing content;; liking, replying to, or reporting (and providing additional information regarding) comments.
- Contact Us or Provide Feedback
- Contact information such as your name, e-mail address, street address, and phone number;
- Comments, requests, and questions you submit through customer service interactions with us; and
- Survey responses, which may include your interests, opinions, and information about you including demographic information. From time to time our surveys offer you the option to voluntarily provide information that may be considered sensitive under applicable law such as your race or ethnicity. We process such information for disclosed purposes as permitted by and in compliance with applicable law.
Automatically Collected Information. We (and service providers on our behalf) automatically collect certain information about your use of the Services or your device.
For example, we may collect:
- Device information— such as hardware model, IP address, device identifiers, operating system, browser type and settings (like language and available font settings) and settings of the device you use to access the Services.
- Usage information— such as the Services you use, the time and duration of your use and other information about your interaction with content, such as the webpages you read, where you click on our site, customer service interactions, cursor movements, and certain interactions and images, and how you interact with our emails.
- Location information— such as general location derived from your computer’s IP address, your mobile device’s GPS signal or information about nearby WiFi access points and cell towers that may be transmitted when you use certain Services.
Information From Third-Party Sources. We may receive online or offline information about you from other sources, which we may combine with other information we receive from or about you. For example, we may receive information about you from a social media site if you connect to the Services through that site, and we may obtain demographic or interest data from consumer data resellers. As set forth in the Online Tracking and Advertisingsection, we may receive information, such as usage information, from entities such as data analytics providers and advertising partners.
- Publicly and commercially available sources, as permitted by law, including contract information, demographic and professional data, and interests.
- Social Media Services, if you interact with us through a social media service or log in using social media credentials. Depending on your social media settings, we may have access to your information from that service, such as your name, email address, friends and followers/following list, profile and demographic information, current city, comments about or reactions to our Services, and the people/sites you follow.
- Data analytics providers and advertising partners, including usage information, and information about your activity and transactions on other websites or platforms or with other companies.
Other Information We Collect. We also may collect other information about you, your device, or your use of the services in ways that we describe to you at the point of collection or otherwise with your consent. You may choose not to provide us with certain types of information but doing so may affect your ability to use some of the Services.
How We Use Information
We may use your information:
To Provide and Manage the Services, including to:
- process your electronic newsletters, and/or enabling you to participate in the features (such as commenting) provided by the Services;
- provide customer service; and
- understand and resolve technical issues, app crashes and other issues being reported.
To Contact You. We may periodically contact you with offers and information about the Services and our affiliates, including in connection with your accounts, online surveys, and other important information, Service-related updates, new features you are entitled to access, customer service communications and newsletters. You may opt out of receiving commercial email messages from us by following the instructions contained in those email messages.
To Better Understand Our Users and Improve Our Services. We analyze our users’ interactions with the Services along with location, interests and other information to better understand and serve our users, and to improve our Services.
Bug detection and error reporting. We use information to understand and resolve technical issues, app crashes and other issues being reported.
To Protect the Rights of the Services and others. We may use your information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to secure, protect, enforce, or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety, or property of the Services, its employees or agents, or other users and to comply with applicable law and legal process.
With Consent. We may otherwise use your information with your consent or at your direction.
Use of external tools on our website. As referenced through the descriptions above, we may provide customer information to other third parties in connection with the use of external tools of our website. Below please find some examples that provide in further detail how we might permit external tools to use customer data.
The controller has integrated the component Google Analytics (with anonymisation function) on this website.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service. Web analysis is the gathering, collection and analysis of data about the behavior of visitors to websites. Among other things, a web analysis service collects data on which website a data subject has come to a website from (so-called referrers), which subpages of the website were accessed or how often and for which period of time a subpage was viewed. A web analysis is mainly used to optimize a website and for the cost-benefit analysis of Internet advertising.
The operator of the Google Analytics component is Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA 94043-1351, USA.
The full IP address is sent to and shortened by a Google server in the USA. On behalf of the operator of the website, Google will use this information to evaluate your use of the website, compile reports on website activity and to provide further services related to website and internet use to us. The IP address transferred through your browser to Google Analytics will not be combined with other data held by Google.
In addition, this website uses the Analytics feature UserID to track interaction data. This User ID will be additionally anonymized and encrypted and will not be linked with other data.
You can prevent the storage of cookies by a corresponding setting of your browser software; however, please note that if you do this, you may not be able to use all the features of this website to the fullest extent possible.
In addition, you may prevent the collection of the data generated by the cookie and related to your use of the website (including your IP address) by Google as well as the processing of this data by Google by downloading and installing the browser plug-in available under the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en
In addition, a cookie already set by Google Analytics can be deleted at any time via the Internet browser or other software programs.
Further information and Google‘s applicable privacy regulations can be found at https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en and https://marketingplatform.google.com/about/ The following link provides a further explanation of Google Analytics https://marketingplatform.google.com/about/.
Our website also uses Google Analytics performance reports relating to demographics and interests and reports on Google Display Network impressions.
You can disable Google Analytics for display advertising and customize the ads on the Google Display Network by visiting the ad settings at this link: https://adssettings.google.com.
Facebook Tracking Pixel
We use a Facebook “tracking pixel”. This pixel can be used to track user behavior after they have been redirected to our website by clicking on a Facebook and / or Instagram ad. This allows us to record the effectiveness of Facebook and Instagram advertisements for statistical and market research purposes and, if necessary, to take optimization measures. The tracking of users who have landed on our website after clicking on one of our Facebook and Instagram ads can remain active up to 180 days.
The data collected in this way is anonymous for us, i.e. we do not see the personal data of individual users. However, this data is stored and processed by Facebook, about which we will inform you to the best of our knowledge.
Facebook may connect this data to the Facebook account and also use it for its own advertising purposes, according to its data usage policy. If you want to disable cookie storage for Facebook, you can do so via your browser settings.
Lodame Data Collection
Lodame uses a pixel tracker. It collects information using a cookie to track visitors cross different websites. The purpose of the tracking is to assist in displaying relevant and engaging ads for each individual user, making ads more valuable to the individual and the third-party advertisers.
You may opt of Lodame’s collection of information by following the instructions
that can be found at https://www.lotame.com/about-lotame/privacy/opt-out/.
How We Disclose Information
We may disclose your information to:
- Affiliates within our family of affiliated companies.
- Business Partners to provide you with services you participate in or request, such as co-sponsors of a promotion that runs on our Services. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these entities.
- Service Providers that provide services to us, such as hosting vendors, analytics or advertising service providers.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or As Necessary to Protect Our Users and Services including as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce, or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety, or property of the Services, our employees or agents or users or to comply with applicable law or legal process, including responding to requests from public and government authorities.
- Third Parties that Provide Content, Advertising, or Other Functionality. Third parties may collect or receive certain information about you and/or your use of the Services (e.g., hashed data, click stream information, browser type, time and date, information about your interactions with advertisements and other content to provide content, advertising, or functionality or to measure and analyze ad performance, on our Services or other websites or platforms). This information may be combined with information collected across different websites, online services, and other linked or associated devices. These third parties may use your information to improve their own services and consistent with their own privacy policies.
- Other Parties in Connection With a Corporate Transaction. We may disclose information we have about you in the event that we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets to a third party, such as in the event of a merger, acquisition, or in connection with a bankruptcy reorganization, or in contemplation of or due diligence related to such a corporate transaction.
- Otherwise With Your Consent or At Your Direction. We may disclose information about you with third parties whenever you consent to or direct such sharing.
We also may disclose other information with third parties in a manner that does not identify particular users, including, for example, aggregated data about how users are using our Services.
Third-Party Content and Links
Account Management, Privacy Rights & Other Choices
Email Promotions. You may opt out of receiving commercial email messages from us by following the instructions contained in those email messages.
Targeted Advertising. You may choose whether to receive some forms of targeted advertising from many ad networks, audience segment providers, ad serving vendors, and other service providers by visiting websites operated by the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance . Please see the Online Tracking and Advertising section for further information about how to disable cookies and other choices that may be available to you with respect to certain types of targeted advertising.
Do Not Track. Some web browsers may transmit a “do-not-track” signal. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning how to treat such signals, the Services currently do not take action in response to do not track signals.
We have in place physical, electronic and managerial procedures to protect the information we collect online. However, as effective as these measures are, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
Children’s Privacy. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 16 without parental consent, unless permitted by law. If we learn that a child under the age of 16 has provided us with personal information, we will delete it in accordance with applicable law.
Online Tracking & Advertising
Cookies. Cookies are small files that are placed on your computer when you visit a website. Cookies may be used to store a unique identification number tied to your computer or device so that you can be recognized as the same user across one or more browsing sessions, and across one or more sites. Cookies serve many useful purposes. For example:
- Cookies can remember your sign-in credentials so you do not have to enter those credentials each time you visit a Service.
- Cookies can help us and third parties understand which parts of our Services are the most popular because the Cookies can help us and third parties understand which parts of our Services are the most popular because they help us see which pages and features visitors access and how much time they spend on the pages. By studying this kind of information, we are better able to adapt our Services and provide you with a better experience.
- Cookies help us and third parties understand which ads you have seen so that you don’t receive the same ad each time you access a Service.
Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but can be configured not to do so or to notify the user when a cookie is being sent. If you wish to disable cookies, refer to your browser help menu to learn how to disable cookies. If you disable browser cookies or flash cookies, it may interfere with the proper functioning of the Services.
Beacons. We, along with third parties, also may use technologies called beacons (or “pixels”) that communicate information from your device to a server. Beacons can be embedded in online content, videos, and emails, and can allow a server to read certain types of information from your device, know when you have viewed particular content or a particular email message, determine the time and date on which you viewed the beacon, and the IP address of your device. We and third parties use beacons for a variety of purposes, including to analyze the use of our Services and (in conjunction with cookies) to provide content and ads that are more relevant to you.
Local Storage & Other Tracking Technologies. We, along with third parties, may use other kinds of technologies, such as Local Shared Objects (also referred to as “Flash cookies”) and HTML5 local storage, in connection with our Services. We also may use unique identifiers associated with your device, such as mobile ad identifiers. These technologies are similar to the cookies discussed above in that they are stored on your device and can be used to store certain information about your activities and preferences. However, these technologies may make use of different parts of your device from standard cookies, and so you might not be able to control them using standard browser tools and settings. For HTML5 local storage, the method for disabling HTML5 will vary depending on your browser.
Additional Choices With Respect To Targeted Advertising
In addition to disabling cookies and other tracking technologies as described above, you may opt-out of receiving targeted advertising from participating ad networks, audience segment providers, ad serving vendors, and other service providers by visiting websites operated by the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance
Due to differences between using apps and websites on mobile devices, you may need to take additional steps to disable tracking technologies in mobile apps. Many mobile devices allow you to opt-out of targeted advertising for mobile apps using the settings within the mobile app or your mobile device. For more information, please check your mobile settings. You also may uninstall our apps using the standard uninstall process available on your mobile device or app marketplace.
Privacy Rights. Depending on where you live, you may have certain rights with respect to your information.
- California and Virginia residents, in addition to residents of the EEA, UK or Switzerland, can request:
- access to and/or a copy of certain personal information we hold about you;
- correction of inaccurate information that we have about you;
- deletion of certain personal information we have collected from you; and/or
- provide information about financial incentives that we offer to you, if any.
- California and Virginia residents also have opt out rights described below.
If you would like information regarding your rights or would like to request (or if you are an authorized agent acting on behalf of a California resident), please email us at email@example.com.
- We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity and requests, including by verifying your account information, residency or the email address you provide. If you are an authorized agent for a California resident submitting a request on their behalf, we may require proof of your written authorization before processing the request.
- Certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law such as information we retain for legal compliance and to secure our Services. We may need certain information in order to provide the Services to you; if you ask us to delete it, you may no longer be able to use the Services.
- Your rights and our responses will vary based on your state or country of residency. You may be located in a jurisdiction where we are not obligated, or are unable, to fulfill a request. In such a case, your request may not be fulfilled. Applicable law may further provide you with the right to not be discriminated against for exercising your rights.
- Virginia residents may appeal the denial of a request here: please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opt Out of Sale of Personal Information or Sharing or Processing of Personal Information for Targeted Advertising (California and Virginia Residents Only).
If you are a California or Virginia resident, you may opt out of certain processing of your personal information, including for targeted advertising, under applicable law. Targeted advertising is when we or our partners display ads to you based on your personal information that is collected across different businesses.
We and our advertising partners collect certain information from our visitors, such as device identifiers, cookies, advertising IDs, IP addresses and usage activity. We and our ad partners share this information with third parties or combine it with information from other businesses to deliver more relevant (targeted) ads to you and for related advertising activities. We may also share or use hashed contact information for this purpose. This activity is known as “sharing” or processing your personal information for targeted ads and may be considered “selling” your personal information under applicable law.
If you (or in California, your authorized agent) would like to opt out of our use or disclosure of your information for such purposes, please email us at email@example.com Note, if you use a cookie blocker such as Ghostery, it may block visibility of this tool or link, including in your web footer.
Even if you opt out, you will still see advertising, it just may be less relevant to you, or it may be personalized for you based only on the data that the Company has collected about you. Unless you sign in, you must opt out on each device and each browser where you want your choice to apply. Your preference may be lost if you clear, or your browser is set to clear, cookies. If you have enabled a legally recognized browser-based opt out preference signal (such as Global Privacy Control) on your browser, we recognize such preference in accordance and to the extent required by applicable law.
Analytics. Some analytics providers we partner with may provide specific opt-out mechanisms. For example, you may opt out of having Google Analytics use your information for analytics by installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on. You can visit our Cookie Notice for additional information on how to opt out of certain analytics providers.
Targeted Advertising. In addition to other choices outlined above, our Cookie Notice has information about how to manage cookies and other choices that may be available to you with respect to personalized advertising. You may choose whether to receive certain targeted advertising from participating ad networks, audience segment providers, ad serving vendors, other service providers or entities by visiting websites operated by the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance or if you are a user in the European Economic Area, Your Online Choices. These third-party tools may have limitations such as the browsers on which they are effective. Many mobile devices also allow you to opt-out of certain personalized advertising for mobile apps and related tracking using the settings within the mobile app or your mobile device. For more information, please check your mobile device settings.
Jurisdiction-Specific Privacy Information
If you are a California resident, the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires us to provide you with some additional information. Please note the information and the rights discussed below are not applicable to our employees, former employees, candidates, contractors, service providers, or business contacts.
- We may collect, use, and disclose for our business and commercial purposes, the following categories of information about you or your use of the Services:
- Identifiers (such as name, address, email address); commercial information (such as transaction data); financial data (such as credit card information); user-generated content; device information and identifiers (such as IP address); internet or other network or device activity (such as browsing history or app usage); professional and employment related information; location data; audio or visual information (such as if you participate in a phone survey or submit a photo); demographic data (such as gender); inference data; and other information that identifies or can be reasonably associated with you.
- Please see Information We Collect above for more information
- We may use the above categories of information:
- to provide and manage the Services you request; to contact you; to deliver advertising; to better understand our readers and users and improve our Services; for bug detection and error reporting; to audit consumer interactions on the Services; to protect the rights of the Services and with your consent.
- Please see How We Use Information above for more information.
- We may disclose
- any of the above categories of information we collect with: our affiliates; business partners to provide you with services that you request; service providers; other parties, including government entities, when required by law or to protect our users and services; social media services pursuant to that service and your settings; and with your consent or in connection with a corporate transaction.
- commercial information and financial data, including your payment information, with payment processors and service providers, and
- device information and identifiers and internet or other network or device activity with entities that provide content, advertising, and functionality.
- Please see How We Disclose Information above for more information.
Sale or sharing of personal information. We engage in targeted (or cross context behavioral) advertising on the Services or on other sites and when we advertise our Services elsewhere. In connection with such advertising, we may share the following categories of information with advertising networks and providers, advertisers, and social media networks, which may be considered a sale under California law and is the processing of personal information for targeted advertising:
- device information and identifiers, such as IP address, and unique advertising identifiers and cookies; hashed identifiers such as contact information, usage information, such as browsing history or app usage; location information, such as city; and inference data.
California residents can opt out of such targeted advertising as set forth here: Your Privacy Choices. California residents can also turn on the Global Privacy Control (GPC) to opt out of the “sale” or “sharing” of your personal information that is browser based for each participating browser system that you use. Learn more at the Global Privacy Control website.
Right to Limit. The CCPA also allows you to limit the use or disclosure of your “sensitive personal information” (as defined in the CCPA) if your sensitive personal information is used for certain purposes. Please note, in the limited circumstances that we process sensitive personal information as defined by the CCPA, we do not use or disclose it other than for disclosed and permitted business purposes for which there is not a right to limit under the CCPA.
Retention. We keep your information to fulfill the purposes described above, unless a longer retention is required or permitted by law. Our retention is based upon the amount, nature and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of the information, the purposes for which we process the information, applicable legal requirements, and our legitimate interests. The purposes for which we process information may dictate different retention periods for the same types of information. For example, we retain your email address as an authentication credential (where applicable) as long as you have an account with us and an additional period of time after that for our legitimate interests and for our fraud and legal compliance purposes. If you opt out of email marketing, we maintain your email on our suppression list for an extended time to honor your opt out. We may delete or de-identify your information sooner if we receive a verifiable deletion request, subject to exemptions under applicable law.
Once a year, California residents can also request certain information regarding our disclosure, if any, of certain categories of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. We do not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
California residents who are under 18 and registered users of the Services can request removal of content that they have posted on the Services by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and email address and/or your Company username, birth year, mailing address, and the material that you want removed and information that will enable us to locate it, and the subject line “California Removal Request”. Your request does not ensure complete removal of the material. For example, materials may be republished or reposted by another user or third party.
Nevada consumers who have purchased goods or services from us may opt out of the “sale” of “covered information” as such terms are defined under Nevada law. We do not engage in such activity, but if you have questions about this you can email us at email@example.com.
Additional Marketing & Advertising Choices.
Our Cookie Notice has information about how to manage cookies and other choices that may be available to you with respect to personalized advertising.
If you are a resident of the EEA, UK, Switzerland, or Canada, as described above, you may opt out of (withdraw your consent to) receiving marketing emails from us by following the instructions in such emails. You may also opt out of (withdraw your consent to) our use of your email to provide you special offers via email and through other platforms (such as social media) by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.